SPEED MEASURED IN YOUR INTERNET TERMINAL

Eli
Answers: 432
 Eli
(@Eli)
Member of high reputation

Fiber Optic Cable

This article presents a tool terminal to check the speed of your Internet connection. This can be useful to check if your ISP offers speeds actually claiming to diagnose possible problems with your Internet connection, etc.

You can use this tool running command to test your Internet speed if you want to avoid having to visit a website with ads and other inflated such as nausea speedtest.netOr if you want to measure the actual speed of your Internet server / remote machine. You can also use in scripts.

How to test the speed of loading and unloading from the terminal using Internet speedtest-cli (facilitated by speedtest.net)

The speedtest-cli It is a command line tool to test Python speed Internet using www.speedtest.net. With it you can check the speed of download and upload Internet as well as ping.

The tool has many options, including the ability to specify the server speedtest.net to check internet speed, show all available servers sorted by distance, only a test or loading. You also have the option to generate and provide a URL to the image of the result generated by speedtest.net.

To install this tool on your computer is running the following command:

Sudo apt install speedtest-cli

After installed to immediately start measuring your internet speed simply run:

speedtest

The above command will return a branch detailed information about your connection, if you want basic information yet then you can achieve by adding the parameter --simple to the command as in this example:

speedtest --simple

You can see a complete list of speed test servers available Internet running:

speedtest --list

To test the speed of download and upload Internet on a specific server, copy the server ID from the list command and use that ID as follows:

speedtest --server ID-DEL-SERVER

To generate, display or share the URL to the image with the test result speedtest.net type the following command:

speedtest --share

You can also run speedtest-cli -h to view all available options. I hope it is useful for you. If you liked comments and please share.

7Answers
Isaías Gätjens M
Respuestas: 41
(@Igatjens)
Eminent member

Thank you @eli, Interesting and useful.

1 Reply
Eli
 Eli
(@Eli)

I appreciate your comment, really love this tool and tells you the real rate, often measuring in the browser is not very correct.

GorditoInocente
Answers 8
Registered
(@Gorditoinocente)

This if you did not know, thank you.

orfeo
Respuestas: 59
Registered
(@Orpheus)
Reliable member

Gracias por la información Eli. Acabo de ejecutarlo...
I am surprised that tells me upload speed of 47.29 Mbit / s, while through other web upload speeds approaching 300 Mbit / s
No entiendo una diferencia tan grande...
I've been tested on four sites: they all agree on a slope of 300 Mbit / s and a rise between 280 and 295 Mbit / s except speedtest-cli giving me now 48.32 Mbit / s
What result I can trust anymore?

Eli
 Eli
(@Eli)

Hello @orfeo do not worry too much about it, the reason you happens (and it happens to most) is that speed gauges are usually inflated browser speeds, for example almost all suppliers have something called speed burst where they give you momentarily higher speeds than normal when for example these lowering or raising a file or you start making streaming a video, but those speed increases (Bursts speed) Only last as upload / low a file or for a few seconds every minute or so while watching a video etc, and are actually matching the speeds advertised etc, but then quickly back to the constant speed and more real that you are giving. When you're doing a speedtest with the browser you're getting one of those Bursts so you see the highest speed and that comes closest to your supplier sells you.

You should also consider the server you're using, which is the same as you are using to perform the test with your browser, choose the desired server and run:

speedtest --server 1779

Cambiando "1779" por el numero del servidor que deseas utilizar, para ver una lista de servidores ejecuta:

speedtest --list

For example when I do a speed test con mi navegador usando el servidor de mi proveedor "Comcast" veo lo siguiente:

But yet when I do it on the terminal server using the same look I see:

screenshot1

As you see are substantially different, in short speedtest-cli gives you a constant speed, browsers will show the bursting Momentary happens when low or upload files to the Internet which is the propaganda you vede your provider. This does not happen with some providers who do not use bursting and other techniques to sell capacity on its cables.

2 Replies
orfeo
Registered
(@Orpheus)

Reliable member
Respuestas: 59

Thank you very much for your explanations @Eli!!!

Eli
 Eli
(@Eli)

Nothing friend, I hope I have been clearer now.

Greetings.

Share:

Working

please Log In or SignUp